This is my project of late. I plan to bring the truck to drivable
conditions and then slowly repair and rebuild the interior and exterior. I
hope to bring it as close to original as possible, but also want to modernize it
Dec 15, 2003
Dec 19, 2003 - Got the REPU fired up. Smoked like crazy! Took
front grill off and attempted to glue grill back together. Chipped
coloring off of rotary emblem.
Jan 2, 2004 - Before it snowed I attempted to fix the clutch problem myself.
I haven't decided to pull the motor or the trans. I filled the tires with
air and the vehicle rolls freely
Jan 25 2004 - Towed it over to my house and proceeded to tear down drive
train per Chilton manual. Found that the rear drive shaft connection to
the differential was stuck on and took about an hour to tear off. Pulled
the transmission to find that throw-out bearing (although rough) was
operational. After pulling the clutch disc off, we found the real problem.
The clutch face towards the pressure plate had worn down to the rivets. A
new clutch is on its way.
Jan 29 2004 - Had clutch Resurfaced and Reattached at Clutchmasters in
Detroit. The company who makes RhinoPac and several other aftermarket
models discontinued manufacturing. Clutch was installed and throw out
bearing was greased up. We put the tranny back on and bolted everything
together. Took the truck outside and after turning over several times one
of the wires under the hood started to smoke. REPU fired up and idled at
900 RPM after warm. A battery was tow strapped into the rusted battery
box. The truck went for a 5 mile ride and there was not a single problem.
Took off front passenger panel and beat out dent.
Feb 10, 2004 - My brother slid into the REPU with his Ford Ranger and dented
the driver side door. It is still icy in some areas here. My plans
to make the stainless steel battery box has come closer to production.
Mar 10, 2004 - I got all of the dashboard instruments operational. The
fuse box was corroded and all of the fuses (except the engine main) fell apart
when I pulled them. I replaced the fuses.
What does work:
What does not work:
windshield wiper blades
Apr 12, 2004 - Beat the driver side door until dent started coming out.
After letting truck warm up, I ran it to 4000RPM
April 15, 2004 - Bought two taillights that will serve the function. They
do not have three wires so I will have to find someway to wire them. I
found that a long wire wrapped around the frame was possibly shorting out.
It went to the license plate light.
To get the REPU running I need: Key, brake fluid, side mirrors, and brake
lights for two original brakes.
Audio of the REPU idling without
Audio of the REPU idling with
Audio of the REPU idling at rear
May 31, 2004 - Have several projects with the REPU going. The
battery box is being made. I have disassembled the brakes and completely
cleaned them off. I may replace some brake lines as the rubber hoses are
bulging. I decided to learn about body work and got the right tools to
start learning. I purchased two lights for the missing brake lights and
have those wired up. The body is not grounded good and that is the cause
of poor starting and bad lighting. Here are pics of my first day as a
June 11, 2004 - Marv Baumann,
www.marvinbaumann.com created a brand new battery box for my truck.
Front latch is original, he welded the rest of the box together with new
July 15 2004 - I had the
front disc brakes off and cleaned them. I bought
two front tires for the truck. 185 75R14 tires
were put on the REPU and I manually bleed the brakes.
I found that the REPU either starts right away or not at
all. The pickup truck runs great and seems to
brake well. The discs were extremely rusted and
are slowly recovering with the usage. I plan to
soon legalize the truck.
two more tail lights -
bondo them into the body
make a key from the doors -
the tumbler is not in the vehicle
make sure the engine starts
every time - no electric drain
get the heater working
July 23, 2004 - I took the
Red Top battery out of my RX-7 and put it into the REPU.
The brakes are a little spongy and need to be bled more.
The heater works ever since I ran a ground wire to the
engine block for good continuity. The pickup's
drivetrain is road ready.
July 28, 2004 - Tags cost
me $14 and I took the REPU out for a spin. I
stopped at AutoZone and picked up two more taillights.
I drove home. I believe my master cylinder is the
weak link in my brakes as they slowly fade/ lose
pressure. I washed the truck. I want to
replace the driver door, key locks, master cylinder, and
weld the floor closed. I need to start de-rusting
Sept. 25 2004 - Bought
Aircraft Remover (paint stripper) and removed the X on
my hood. I also sanded the driver's side of the
bed and found that the rear tire flare is composed of
bondo. The work I did was quickly covered over as
it was getting dark and I primered the bare metal.
Oct. 10 2004 - I sanded the
passenger's side of the bed flat. I purchased a
tool that holds sandpaper and keeps it straight. I
plan on resanding the driver's side of the bed as it is
not flat. I sanded the passenger's side front
fender. While I am new at body work, it gets
better every time I work on the truck.
Dec. 28 2004 - I drove the
REPU until Nov. 15 and the fuel pump internals seized.
I found a replacement model that flows 18 GPH and
maintains 4-6 PSI fuel pressure. The truck runs
smooth although several fuses were blown in the process.